Monday, January 30, 2012

Science Apps & Technology

I finally gave into the SmartPhone craze a few months ago. I am amazed at the technology and everything that my phone can do - and now like many others, I have the thought "how did I ever get by without this phone?".

I think about how much technology has advanced since I was in school and what has changed since I started teaching. I made the comment today about when I was in school I had to clap chalk out of erasers and I had all my students looking at me like I was speaking a foreign language. My comment was prompted by being sent this picture of my son (age 2) using a SMARTboard in preschool. As a teacher, I'm so excited about the technology avaliable to him and what impact it will have on his learning. As a mom, I got a little sad seeing how grown up he looks in this picture!



I saw this video on Sesame Street over the summer with my son. I love the humor because all of the apps CAN get very overwhelming!




On a serious note, I have found some great science education apps. I have shared some of them with my students, but would like to keep a list of apps that support science education. If you have one to add to the list, please comment and I will add it! *I have only listed FREE apps!*

SkyView Free
NASA
Language Central - Life
Language Central - Physical
Language Central - Earth
(The three Language Central Apps are from Pearson, they have vocabulary games that follow the middle school science textbooks)

4 comments:

  1. I find it so interesting that Owen already is learning to use a smart board:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's amazing how quickly young children pick up on how to navigate technology!

      Delete
  2. Lucky, Why cant we play :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO fun! I wish we had it when we were kids! :)

    ReplyDelete